Darts: a game where participants compete with one another by throwing small arrow like devices at a target that is round and has numbers and sections and an inner bull with an outer bull and so on. Darts now refer to the standard game with a specific bristle board design and a set of rules. Rules that are general to the game and rules that govern games like, “501,” “301,” and “Cricket.”


Darts is a traditional pub game that was and is commonly played in the United Kingdom as well as other places in Europe and across the pond here in the America’s.


Wikipedia tells hits history in a terse form, i.e., “The dartboard may have its origins in the cross-section of a tree. An old name for a dartboard is "butt"; the word comes from the French word but, meaning "target". In particular, the Yorkshire and Manchester Log End boards differ from the standard board in that they have no treble, only double and bullseye, the Manchester board being of a smaller diameter, with a playing area of only 25 cm across with double and bull areas measuring just 4 mm. The London Fives board is another variation. This has only 12 equal segments numbered 20, 5, 15, 10, 20, 5, 15, 10, 20, 5, 15, 10 with the doubles and triples being a quarter of an inch wide.”


There have been a variety of darts created over the years but the most common today is the tungsten dart. There are electronic darts but for this blog and for my efforts in tossing darts I remain a steel dart fan and enthusiast. I am recommending a book for novice darters but only because it appealed to me and my studies and rest assured most of the dart books out there are outstanding. In short, find one if this one does not fit your needs and get it. I can tell you when I started to play over twenty years ago, before I laid down my darts in 96, I tossed darts for several years without knowing some very important and critical mechanics, etc., of the dart game. As I take up once again my steel darts I have found a fountain of information to help make the game both enjoyable and competitive. Enjoy, diddle for the middle and let the darts fly!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Making the Rounds

Dart Arts Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

There are a variety of practice models to lean, improve and master the dart arts. One of my favorites is to, “Make the Rounds,” that is simply the same as the, “Round the Clock Game.” Start with the number 1 and step through to 20 then close out with the bull. 

Start with the larger pie. Most don’t practice the pies and tend to focus on the major triples and the doubles do get their favorite outs. That is putting a lot into achieving the goal of your favorite numbers and outs where in my view the ability to hit any target successfully and consistently is providing more avenues then one’s favorites. 

Go for making the rounds and you are practicing to hit every part of the board. Starting, as we already indicated, the large pies from 1 to 20, shift to the smaller pies that are closest to the bull, then on to the double ring and finally the triple rings. 

I start out by tossing all three darts to each pie with a goal of hitting it once minimum. Later, as my targeting improves along with the all important throw, I try to hit them all with just one dart and one dart only. I do this, as I assume others do, to teach myself to hit my targets on the first throw so I can use the other two darts on other targets. In cricket I would find it most satisfying to hit with the first dart the triple 20, second dart triple 19 and the third dart triple 18. Then the same with 17, 16 and 15 with a close out of double bull and single bull. The ultimate objective of the Cricket game.

Of all the practice models I find making the rounds the most, “Well Rounded, in developing a solid consistent target-rich throw and once I achieve the objective of consistently hitting the pies and double/triples with just one dart I would vary it by:
  • Start with 1 and follow the numbers to 20.
  • Start with 20 and follow the numbers in reverse to 1. 
  • Start with any number and choose any other number randomly.
  • Start with 1 to hit the big pie, the little pie, the double then the triple and follow the numbers in this fashion up to 20.
  • Reverse the last from 20 to 1. 
Keep it exciting and always remember that in practice you have to have a purpose, intent, to the throwing of each and every dart to improve and reach a master d’artist level of the dart arts. 


Oh, lets not forget all the other factors necessary to achieve success in this particular practice model of the oche line, the stance (kamae), the physiokinetic structure and alignment, etc., of the body, the arm and the actual throw (aiming through sight alignment and picture; the arm position and structure; the hand (relaxed, positive relaxation, the limber relaxed wrist, the limber flex and extension of the fingers, the pointing follow through and so on).


No comments:

Post a Comment